Sydney Ferries - "Kareela"
"Kareela" was one of the famous "K" class of Inner Harbour ferries that plied the harbour from the late 19th to the late 20th century. "Kareela" is well remembered particularly for her time on the Neutral Bay and Mosman runs between 1905 and 1959 when she was withdrawn, being replaced by the somewhat less popular "Kooleen" (the hulk of which has just been sold recently having resided on the riverbed of the Parramatta river for some time).
Model is scratchbuilt from balsa, wood, styrene, perspex and wire from a copy of the original General Arrangement obtained from the Australian National Maritime Museum archives. Nearly 1800 parts, the only purchased details being the airvents, lifeboat and ladders. She is mounted on an authentic Sydney Ferries "K" Class floorboard - from her larger and later sister "Kanangra" which is being restored by the Australian Heritage Fleet. Livery is a one-off colour scheme that only she wore in the 1950's as a pilot for a possible change in Sydney Ferries' livery, that was not adopted for the fleet.